Punch Biopsy: A small device is used to remove a small cylinder of skin. Used for small moles.
Excisional Surgery: The surgeon simply cuts away the mole and closes the wound with stitches. Used for malignant moles and flat moles that are too large for punch biopsy.
Shave Excision: The surgeon will use a small sharp scalpel to shave down the mole so it is even with the surrounding skin. Used for raised moles.
All of these procedures are likely to leave scars and have other complications. There are mole removal methods that are far less complicated, cheaper and have less side effects. Take 10 minutes to take a look at the best ways to remove moles at home and mole removal creams, we are certain you will be happy with the results.
Before performing a surgical mole removal procedure you should ask your surgeon for references to previous patients. In addition you should ask the surgeon a couple of questions:
- After the mole removal surgery, will the mole disappear completely or will there be traces left?
- Are there risks of scarring or other complications?
- What techniques will the surgeon use to remove the mole surgically?
- How much experience has the surgeon had with mole removal surgery? Ask for references.
- What kind of anesthesia will the surgeon use during the surgical mole removal procedure?
- If the results of the surgical mole removal does not meet the expected goals, what is the policy for correctional procedures?
- Ask if the surgeon has ever had his malpractice coverage suspended.
- Inform the surgeon of any allergies, medications and medical conditions you have and ask if they will interfere in the surgical mole removal procedure.
Another thing to keep in mind are the costs associated with surgical mole removal. The surgery itself costs between $125-$250, but you will have to add the cost of the visit to the doctors office and a follow up visit. You can read more about mole removal costs here. If you are undecided on this procedure take your time and explore other methods of mole removal.
Things you might find interesting: